Thursday, April 7, 2011

There are a few things I found disturbing in this week’s reading.  First I found the fact that women are having trouble getting their birth control pills filled.  I never realized that people that are prolife thought that birth control is wrong.  In my opinion birth control is a lot better than abortion, I’m mean think about it birth control is preventing life.  There is never a baby.  My personal opinion is if a woman wants birth control that’s her choice, I’ve taken it.  Although I personally couldn’t have an abortion but I don’t see anything wrong with it.  A woman should be able to make her own decisions, no matter what her reasons.  The technology is there why can’t we use it.  Today in class we talked about how some women have used coat hangers to abort their unborn fetus.  Should we really go back to that kind of thing when we have the ability to do it safely?  I don’t think so. 

I also think the fact that our society needs to stop looking at the exterior of people.  Does it really matter if I am a woman or if I am white or whatever?  We are all people, what should matter is what we do.  If I apply for a job I hope that I get it because I’m qualified and not because I’m white.    I can think of so many more important things we could focus on in the world.  But instead we have to fight to be treated equal.      

1 comment:

  1. HI Heather,

    You weren't alone in this week's reading. Many of your peers were also surprised to hear that these were consistent battles for young women. In regard to your third written assignment, I'm glad that you have chosen to investigate young Americans' involvement in the political process. The political process is tied to the women's movement. I hope that you are informed. Some good places to look into would include Mother Jones and www.feministing.com.

    You make an excellent claim about race and ethnicity; however, I don't know if you are aware of affirmative action which is specifically designed for persons of color and women. Not long ago, jobs were handed over to white males (predominantly). To protect persons of color and women (in order to be considered for jobs), affirmative action was created. I encourage you to look into it.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete